We all have favourite flavours and favourite foods. My favourite fruit is mango, favourite candy flavour is banana (the fake one that they use in kids penicillin!)… And anything matcha. I LOVE matcha. My go-to at Starbucks in the green tea latte (made with matcha of course). I seek out matcha ice cream whenever I can. So you can imagine my delight when I found not one but two matcha-based recipes in the new Oh She Glows app. I decided that I had to try them ASAP.
The first one I tried was the Mighty Matcha Wheatgrass Protein Smoothie. My first attempts left something to be desired, so the second time around I added a teaspoon of maple syrup.
Let’s talk details.
- Original Yield: 2-2.5 cups
- Actual Yield: 2 cups
- Original Prep Time: 5 minutes (total time)
- Actual Prep Time: 3 minutes
- Original Make Time: included in prep
- Actual Make Time: 2 minutes
Notes or comments:
- As mentioned above, I needed to add some maple syrup to this smoothie for a touch of sweetness. I love the mild bitterness of matcha but this smoothie needed the sweetness.
- I’ve since made this smoothie with cow’s milk and without wheatgrass, and every combination I’ve tried is yummy (just include the sweetener!)
- I used honey as a sweetener and it works just as well as maple syrup.
Verdict: Success (with modifications)! This is as easy as it gets. My blender has liquid measurements on the sides so I didn’t even have to use a measuring cup and I didn’t have to eye-ball the milk amount (what can I say, I’m not a fan of doing dishes)! I happen to always have most of the ingredients for this smoothie on hand (wheatgrass juice/cubes being an exception), so I can whip this treat up easily and in the same amount of time as it takes to make hubby his coffee. Total win!!