Crisps and crumbles are such versatile desserts. Pick a fruit, add some spices, make the topping, and into the oven it goes. Now, as long as you have a good recipe for the topping, you can make an almost infinite number of fruit combinations. A crisp a week never hurt anyone (or has it?)!
I have some tried-and-true fruit fillings that I like to use for my desserts, but it wasn’t until recently that I came across what would become my number one favourite crisp topping recipe.
I was trying to find a recipe for a strawberry rhubarb pie filling for hubby (his favourite!) and I stumbled across this strawberry-rhubarb crisp recipe from Creations by Kara. It was simple, and I had everything to make the crisp (I was feeling lazy and didn’t really want to make a pie crust), so I made this instead. The filling was pretty good, but the crisp topping was AMAZING!
Now anytime I make a crisp, I use Kara’s recipe, and I have yet to be disappointed. It’s the perfect topping; it never overpowers the filling, stays crisp and chewy, and is the perfectly buttery. You really can’t go wrong.
- Original Yield: 1 8×8 pan
- Actual Yield: I double the recipe for a 9×13 pan
- Original Prep Time: None Given
- Actual Prep Time: 10 minutes for topping, 25 for the recipe, doubled
- Original Bake Time: 35-45 minutes
- Actual Bake Time: around 40 minutes (see note below)
Comments or Notes:
- I’ve made this as one recipe before, but most often I just use the crisp topping recipe.
- Bake time will vary depending on your filling. I recommend using the bake time from your filling recipe.
- If you’re just “winging it”, then I suggest starting with a bake time of 45 minutes at 350F for a 9×13 pan, adding time if necessary.
Verdict: Success! If you’re looks for a go-to, versatile crisp topping, look no further. This topping is perfectly buttery, chewy but crisp, and super simple to make. The recipe as a whole is fantastic as well; it’s the perfect summer dessert. As an added bonus, it’s not laden with sugar! Very much a win in my book.
**Please note, the recipe for the Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp is in no way mine. The views and experiences above are my own and not endorsed/influenced by Creations by Kara or any other third party.