Another late post.
Well, at least this time I totally have a string of genuine reasons (and not excuses). Unfortunately I’ll be around sporadically until mid-July, but it’s the Saturday of a long weekend here in Canada, so I have some down time and can write a bit.
What have I been up to? Well, where do I start? The week before heading back to work, Hubby and I ended up buying a house (yay!). We weren’t expecting to buy until late summer, but an amazing opportunity came up so we took it (and all of the craziness it. Then right as I started back from Maternity leave, the little one got sick. She was down and out for two weeks, and of course as she began to feel better, Hubby and I got whatever she had. Ugh. And of course let’s add teething to the mix. Let’s just say I’m tired.
On a positive note, I’ve been trying out lots of recipes from Angela Liddon of Oh She Glows. I have her book, I have the app (and love it!), and I love the blog. What I really like about her recipes is that they’re mostly very simple to make, but they’re always super flavourful and very satisfying. I can make a vegetarian dinner (sorry, but I can’t say no to butter or cheese!) that’s filling and NOT just a pasta or plain salad, that Hubby and little one will eat, and that doesn’t take me 5 hours in the kitchen.
One dish that’s both in the Oh She Glows cookbook (page 207) and is on the app is for Cauliflower Garlic Mashed Potatoes. Love creamy, silky mashed potatoes with fragrant garlic? Love veggies? Or want to sneak in some extra veggies for your picky eaters? This is the recipe to try. You may never go back to plain old mashed potatoes again.
- Original Yield: 4 cups
- Actual Yield: 4+ cups
- Original Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Actual Prep Time: 20 minutes (peeling potatoes takes time!)
- Original Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Actual Cook Time: about 20 minutes
Notes or comments:
- I’m the first to admit that my knife skills are quite lacking, so I love that this recipe calls for grating the garlic on a microplane. You can, of course, mince it by hand as well.
- We’re not vegan, so I skip the vegan butter and use regular butter (obviously it works just fine).
- I’ve also used both regular cow’s milk as well as unsweetened almond milk and both work very well here.
- I’ve added a sweet potato to the mix once (I’m obviously a wild one!) and while it tasted amazing, I did have to end up puréeing the sweet potato to match the consistency of the regular potatoes and cauliflower.
- I’ve never left out the garlic (we love the flavour), but I have added other herbs and spices to give us some variety, and even added some goat cheese once. Super yummy!
Verdict: Success! I’ve made this as a side at least 5 times now and we haven’t even thought of making just plain mashed potatoes. This has become our go-to potato side and I’m sure you’ll love it too. It’s an easy dish to customize, so feel free to put your own twist on it!
*Please note, the recipe and app image for Cauliflower Garlic Mashed Potatoes is in no way mine. The views and experiences above are my own and not endorsed/influenced by Oh She Glows or any other third party.