I have to say, that for all of my efforts to eat healthy, I will never say no to a cream soup or dish. Now, that’s not to say that these dishes can’t be healthy, but tou don’t typically associate ‘cream’ with ‘healthy’. But take this Spinach Tomato Tortellini from Damn Delicious for example. Lots of yummy spinach, healthy tomatoes, some tortellini (you can choose a whole-grain version to up the health-factor)… There’s nothing unhealthy about it really. A bit of fat is good for you, anyways, and you’re getting calcium and other vitamins from the cream. Go ahead. Treat yourself.
This is a dish where the timing relies almost solely on how quickly your tortellini cooks. The recipe says 15 minutes, but if you’re cooking frozen tortellini like mine that has a cook time of 20-25 minutes, you’re a bit out of luck. However, if a friend showed up at your place with ready-cooked tortellini, you could have this dish on the table in about 10 minutes. You could go with fresh pasta, too… That has a cook time of about 5-10 minutes.
Also, if you have a friend that would randomly bring you cooked tortellini, send them here. I need to meet them.
- Original Yield: 4 servings
- Actual Yield: 4 servings
- Original Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Actual Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Original Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Actual Cook Time: varies with pasta; spinach-tomato cream sauce 8 minutes, pasta according to package directions 5-25 minutes
Notes or Comments:
- As I mentioned above, the cooking time varies with the pasta. I used a frozen tortellini and it took double the time to cook than a fresh pasta would. Keep this in mind when prepping this dish.
Verdict: Success! This is a quick and simple dish that gives you that comfort-food feeling while still providing you with your required intake of veggies. It’s super tasty, and even picky eaters will love it (hubby isn’t a fan of spinach, so we used 2/3 of the given amount).
**Please note, the recipe for Spinach Tomato Tortellini is in no way mine. The views and experiences above are mine and not endorsed/influenced by Damn Delicious or any other third party.