I’m a sucker for “classic” recipes. You know, the ones that pretty much everyone makes? The ones that are all pretty much the same even when everyone’s recipe is a little different? Yeah, those ones. Like chicken noodle soup, mashed potatoes, spaghetti with bolognese sauce, egg salad sandwiches, or tomato soup.
I used to hate tomato soup. Then I grew to like it, as my hubby introduced me to tomato soup (the canned, Campbell’s variety) with grilled cheese sandwiches. As an aside, I think eating grilled cheese with ketchup is gross, by the way… An atrocity, I know! I also think adding ketchup to Kraft Dinner is yucky, so maybe I’m just weird? Anyways. Back to the soup.
Soup is yummy and comforting on a cool day (we’ve started getting autumn weather here) and is a perfect meal if you add some warm, homemade bread or rolls. You know what makes a soup better? When it’s done in a slow cooker (aka with almost NO effort). You know what makes soup even better than that? Cheese. So when I found this Tomato Parmesan Slow Cooker Soup from Life Currents, I knew I had to give it a try. Guess how it turned out?
- Original Yield: 8 servings
- Actual Yield: 10 servings
- Original Prep Time: None mentioned
- Actual Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Original Cook Time: 5-7 hours + 5-7 minutes (for the roux)
- Actual Cook Time: 7 hours (on low) + 15 minutes (for the roux)
Notes or comments from the author:
- The author mentions that you can use any kind of milk for this soup… I used whole milk (it’s what we buy normally anyways), but next time I’m thinking of adding at least a bit of 10% cream (maybe subbing 1/2 the milk for cream) to get it a bit creamier. Not that it wasn’t amazing with just the whole milk! Also, don’t be afraid to add extra cheese!!
Verdict: Success! I will never eat another plain tomato soup again. Or at least I’ll never be satisfied with one. This soup was amazing! It was tomato soup… But so much more. Next time, I’ll purée it before serving (makes it a little creamier, if you prefer it that way), and I’ll make the same rolls as I made the first time to go with this soup. They were pretty good, too… I’ll tell you all about them on Friday!
** Please note, the recipe for Tomato Parmesan Slow Cooker Soup is in no way mine. The views and experiences above are mine and not endorsed/influenced by Life Currents or any other third party.