Everyone has their own little guilty pleasure. For some, it’s chocolate and a glass of wine. For others, cupcakes with fresh buttercream icing. Others still love a plate of ravioli in a creamy vodka sauce. Me? I have quite a few of these guilty pleasures. Cake is one… Those cupcakes I mentioned… Good quality white or dark chocolate… Chinese food…
It’s not exactly the worst one of the lot, but of course my favourite dishes are the least healthy ones… Like orange chicken, sweet and sour chicken, broccoli beef, egg rolls, and lemon chicken. The fried stuff. So, needless to say, we don’t have Chinese very often, and when we do, we limit ourselves to one or two of the less healthy dishes. So when I came across this healthier, homemade Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken from Damn Delicious, I put it on our weekly menu immediately. And boy am I glad I did!
Something I noticed while making Chungah’s recipes is that, for some reason for me, the prep time is always off… And usually by quite a lot. This recipe is no exception. The end result was delicious, as usual, and it’s definitely a recipe I’ll make again, just next time I’ll give myself some extra time to make it. Let’s get to the recipe, then!
- Original Yield: 4 servings
- Actual Yield: 4 servings
- Original Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Actual Prep Time: 15 minutes (basic prep plus sauce) + 15 minutes (prepping chicken up to and including the cornstarch and egg dipping)
- Original Cook Time: 1 hour
- Actual Cook Time: 1 hour and 15 minutes (15 minutes to fry the chicken pieces and prep them for the oven, 55 minutes to bake in the oven, 5 minutes of time in between to stir the chicken and sauce during baking)
Notes or comments from the author:
- As Chungah mentions, this dish is definitely worth the wait. It’s flavourful, tender, and much healthier than take-out!! Make sure to stir the chicken as it cooks; I set my timer to 15 minutes three times then 10 minutes to finish it off and it was perfect!
Verdict: Success (with modifications)! This is definitely a recipe I’ll be making again… And again and again and again! If you haven’t already tried it, go now!! This time we had it with some sesame rice and steamed veggies (yummy and healthy), but I’ll be sure to try other sides next time!
**Please note, the recipe for Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken is in no way mine. The views and experiences above are mine and not endorsed/influenced by Damn Delicious or any other third party.